NFT game development is a process of creating and designing games that use non-fungible tokens (NFTs) to represent in-game assets. NFT game developers use blockchain technology to create unique digital experiences that cannot be duplicated or tampered with. Today, there are a wide array of NFT games, from desktop RPGs that use NFT items as tradeable objects to mobile games that use NFTs as cosmetics.
If you’re interested in becoming an NFT game developer, there are a few things you should know. In this article, we will cover the basics of NFT game development, including what skills you need to learn and where to start.
How NFT Game Design Differs from Traditional Design
Creating an NFT game requires a different skill set than traditional game development. While you still need to be able to code and design attractive graphics, you also need to understand how blockchain technology works and how to integrate it into your game.
In addition, NFT games often have different objectives than traditional games. For example, many NFT games are focused on collectibles or items, rather than on winning or losing. As a result, your game design should reflect these objectives.
What Skills Do You Need to Become an NFT Game Developer?
You don’t need to be a cryptography expert, but you should have a basic understanding of how blockchains work and how they can be used to create unique experiences. In addition, you’ll need to be familiar with game design principles and have experience coding in a game platform like Unity or Unreal Engine.
Develop these skills to become an NFT game developer:
- Learn about blockchain technology and how it works. Blockchain technology is actually much simpler than most people think, but there’s also a cost associated with using the blockchain and NFTs that you need to factor in.
- Familiarize yourself with game design principles. You can outsource this if you just have an idea for NFTs and the theme. But even if you’re not designing the game yourself, you’ll need to understand how games are designed to understand how the NFTs will be utilized.
- Gain experience coding in Unity or Unreal Engine. These are the two most popular game engines and will likely be the ones you’ll need to use to create your NFT game. Some effects can be done through Unity’s drag-and-drop interface and Unreal Engine’s blueprints, but you’ll get better results if you can program.
- Create attractive graphics for your game. NFT games often have beautiful graphics that help to set them apart from traditional games. If you’re not an artist yourself, consider hiring someone to create the artwork for your game.
- Design unique gameplay mechanics that use NFTs. One of the most important aspects of NFT game development is designing gameplay mechanics that use NFTs in interesting and unique ways. Brainstorm different ways that NFTs can be used in your game and how they can enhance the player’s experience.
If you want to create 3D graphics for your game, you’ll also need to know how to use modeling software like Blender or Maya.
How Do You Sell NFTs?
If you want to generate revenue from your NFT game, you’ll need to sell your NFTs on a marketplace like OpenSea or Rarible. You can also create your own marketplace using a platform like Ethereum’s decentralized exchange (DEX). When selling NFTs, you’ll need to set a price and accept payment in cryptocurrency, such as Ether (ETH).
This is important because you need to include this model in your game from the start. NFTs are going to become easier to use, but they’re still a newly emerging technology and not all players know how to use them. So, consider this when you’re thinking about your game design.
What Types of Games are Good for NFTs?
NFTs work well for games that have digital assets that can be easily represented as tokens. For example, games with in-game items, collectibles, or avatars are good candidates for NFTs. In addition, many of the first successful NFT games were focused on trading and collecting, rather than on winning or losing.
There are a wide variety of NFT games already on the market, ranging from desktop RPGs to mobile games. As technology matures, we expect to see a wider variety of genres and experiences that take advantage of NFTs. Today, though, mobile games are by far the most popular.
How Do You Fund an NFT Game?
There are a few different ways to fund an NFT game. One option is to launch an Initial Coin Offering (ICO), where you sell digital tokens that can be used in your game. Another option is to seek out investors who are interested in funding blockchain-based projects. You can also self-fund your project by using your own savings or by taking out a loan. Finally, consider crowdsourcing your game on a platform like Kickstarter or GoFundMe.
Where Can You Learn More About NFT Game Development?
If you want to learn more about NFT game development, there are a few resources you can check out. One option is to join an online community of blockchain developers, such as the Ethereum Community Forum or the Bitcoin StackExchange. You can also find a variety of online courses that cover blockchain game development, on platforms such as Udemy or Skillshare.
At its heart, NFT game development is about using unique technologies to create innovative experiences. You do need to have some understanding of basic game design principles and what makes games “fun” and “addictive.” Test out different ideas with different markets and find one that really resonates with you.
Taking the Next Steps
If you’re interested in becoming an NFT game developer, the best place to start is by creating a prototype of your game using one of the many available blockchain platforms. These include Ethereum, EOS, and TRON. Once you have a working prototype, you can begin marketing your game to potential players and investors.
You should learn about how NFT technology works first to determine how to integrate it into your game. Build your game around your blockchain. You’ll soon have the players flocking to both your game and the collectible token.